If you are purchasing Minecraft: Java Edition for a child, the child must have their own Microsoft account. And to make the purchase, you must sign-in to their account to do so; games cannot be transferred between accounts.
Purchase Minecraft: Java Edition for a child using a Microsoft account
- Go to https://www.minecraft.net/en-us and click GET MINECRAFT.
- Select Computer.
- Select which Operating System (OS) to play the game on.
- Select Minecraft: Java Edition.
- Sign-in to an existing Microsoft account if your child already has one.
Create a new one for them.
Note: If you are setting up a new Microsoft account for a child, and their date of birth is under the age of consent for your region, you must enter your email and give consent for your child’s account to be set up.
- Finish your purchase and set up your child’s Minecraft profile and username.
If you are purchasing Minecraft: Java Edition for a child’s Xbox account there are a few things to know
- When purchasing your new Minecraft: Java Edition game, link your child’s Microsoft account or create one if they do not have one already. (See the instructions above.) If you set up a new account, you can then add parental controls on the Xbox site by logging into your child’s account. Learn how to set this up by visiting How to Manage Parental Consent, Family Settings and Realms/Multiplayer Access for a Child Account
- Ensure you have parental consent for your child’s account set up if you want them to have access to multiplayer features. See Additional Parental Controls for information on how to set this up. If you have an existing Microsoft account, you can add your child’s account as a family member to gain additional features. See Create a child account and add family members on Xbox for more.