The demo mode is available to any Mojang account that is logged into the launcher but does not own a copy of Minecraft. If you have not yet purchased Minecraft, please visit https://help.minecraft.net/hc/en-us/articles/360034721432-Minecraft-Demo-Mode
Possible Scenarios for the Issue:
The demo mode of Minecraft: Java Edition will show in these scenarios:
- You purchased Minecraft: Java Edition after December 1st 2020 and logged in using the wrong account type. If you purchased after that date you MUST use your Microsoft account to login.
- Your purchase of Minecraft was made under a different email address, or the email address has been changed
- You have an old Minecraft account that was never migrated to a Mojang account
- Your purchase was refunded. In this case, you will have received an email from Mojang
- You just purchased Minecraft while the account was logged into the launcher, or you have not yet chosen a username
First, check to see if your account has a copy of Minecraft listed or available to redeem by visiting account.mojang.com/me.
If your account page does not show a Minecraft profile, start your Minecraft Launcher (if you are already logged in, you can log out through the launcher screen: click your username in the top right corner, then click "Log Out").
- If you have a Mojang account, try logging in with any email address you have may have used for this purchase. You can reset your password at https://account.mojang.com/password
- If you have an older Minecraft account, try logging in with your username. You can reset your password at account.mojang.com/migrate
- If you purchased Minecraft after December 1st, 2020, you will need to sign into the launcher using the Microsoft account you purchased the game with, and not a Mojang account
There is no need to re-download or re-purchase the game unless you received an email stating that you were refunded.
Scenarios in which you would only be able to play the demo mode
Just purchased Minecraft:
Scenario: Minecraft was purchased with a Mojang account while the account in question was logged into the launcher.
Solution: Log fully out of the launcher with your account, and then log back in again. This will update the status of the account, and you'll be able to access the full version.
Scenario: Minecraft was purchased, or you redeemed a gift code, but a username was not selected.
Solution: Visit account.mojang.com/me. If you have purchased Minecraft, and have an account token, but have not yet redeemed it for a username, that option will be highlighted and available.
If you can't remember which account/email should be used to log in, please try other email addresses that you own. If you still cannot log in, contact customer support and provide your transaction ID or equivalent. With the ID, we can locate your purchase and help you get logged in.
Your purchase of Minecraft was made under a different email address, or the email address has been changed
Scenario: You have purchased Minecraft recently and this has been confirmed by your bank/payment processor. You have also received a transaction ID in an email from Mojang.
Solution: Try using other email addresses to log in, starting with the one the transaction ID was emailed to.
Scenario: You have purchased Minecraft recently and this has been confirmed by your bank/payment processor. You did not receive a transaction ID in an email from Mojang.
Solution: There may have been a typo with your email address upon registration. Wait a few hours, check your junk mail folder, then contact customer support.
You have an old Minecraft account that was never migrated to a Mojang account
Solution: Log in with your username, or log in to account.mojang.com/migrate to migrate your old account into your empty Mojang account.
Scenario: You have an old Minecraft account and logged in with your username. You have not migrated to a Mojang account. Now Minecraft.net tells you to log in with your email.
Solution: If someone else has obtained the password to a Minecraft account, they may have migrated it to their email. If you suspect this is the case, please contact customer support.
Your purchase was refunded. In this case, you will have received an email from Mojang
Scenario: You've been logging in with your email address as normal, but now can only access the demo mode.
Solution: Has the account been refunded? If so, an email would have been sent to the registered email address, and you can visit minecraft.net/store to re-purchase. Are you logging in with the correct email address? You may have registered more than one Mojang account, so try another email address that you own. It's also possible that the email address on the account has changed, and a new Mojang account was registered with the same email. If you believe that is the case, contact customer support.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Click here to return to Minecraft Troubleshooting.