Demo mode is available to any Mojang account holder who is logged into the Minecraft Launcher but does not own a copy of Minecraft. If you have not yet purchased Minecraft, please visit the Minecraft Demo Mode page.
The demo mode of Minecraft: Java Edition will show in the launcher in these scenarios:
- You purchased Minecraft: Java Edition after December 1, 2020 and logged in using the wrong account type. If you purchased after that date, you MUST use your Microsoft account to log in.
- You migrated your Mojang account to a Microsoft account and logged in using the wrong account type. If you have migrated your Mojang account you must use your Microsoft account to log in.
- You purchased Minecraft under a different email address, or the email address has been changed.
- You have an old Minecraft account that was never migrated to a Mojang account.
- Your purchase was refunded. In this case, you will have received an email from Mojang Studios.
- You just purchased Minecraft while the account was logged into the launcher, or you have not yet chosen a username.
First, check to see if your account has a copy of Minecraft listed or available to redeem by visiting your account page.
If your account page does not show a Minecraft profile, start your Minecraft Launcher (if you are already logged in, you can log out through the launcher screen: click your username in the top-right corner and then click Log Out).
- If you have a Mojang account, try logging in with any email address you have may have used for this purchase. You can reset your password at the Forgot Password page.
- If you have an older Minecraft account, try logging in with your username. You can reset your password at account.mojang.com/migrate.
- If you purchased Minecraft after December 1, 2020, you must sign into the launcher using the Microsoft account you purchased the game with, and not with a Mojang account.
You do not need to download or purchase the game again unless you received an email stating that you were refunded.
The following are additional scenarios where you would be able to play Minecraft only in demo mode.
You just purchased Minecraft
Scenario: You purchased Minecraft with a Mojang account while that account was logged into the launcher.
Solution: Log fully out of the launcher with your account, and then log back in again. Doing so updates the account’s status, and you'll be able to access the full version.
Scenario: You purchased Minecraft, or you redeemed a gift code, but you didn’t select a username.
Solution: Visit your account page. If you have purchased Minecraft, and have an account token, but have not yet redeemed it for a username, that option will be highlighted and available.
If you can't remember which account/email you should use to log in, please try other email addresses that you own. If you still cannot log in, contact Minecraft support and provide your transaction ID or equivalent (a gift code or prepaid card PIN). With that ID, we can locate your purchase and help you get logged in.
You purchased Minecraft under a different email address, or the email address has been changed
Scenario: You purchased Minecraft recently and this has been confirmed by your bank/payment processor. You have also received a transaction ID in an email from Mojang Studios.
Solution: Try using other email addresses to log in, starting with the one the transaction ID was emailed to.
Scenario: You have purchased Minecraft recently and this has been confirmed by your bank/payment processor. You did not receive a transaction ID in an email from Mojang Studios.
Solution: There may have been a typo with your email address when you registered. Wait a few hours, check your junk or spam mail folder, and then contact Minecraft support.
You have an unmigrated legacy Minecraft account
Scenario: You have an old Minecraft account that was never migrated to a Mojang account.
Solution: Log in with your username or log in to account.mojang.com/migrate to migrate your old account into your empty Mojang account.
Scenario: You have an old Minecraft account and logged in with your username. You have not migrated to a Mojang account. Now Minecraft.net tells you to log in with your email.
Solution: If someone else has obtained the password to a Minecraft account, they may have migrated it to their email. If you suspect this is the case, please contact Minecraft support.
Your purchase was refunded. In this case, you will have received an email from Mojang Studios
Scenario: You've been logging in with your email address as normal, but now can access only the demo mode.
Solution: Has the account been refunded? If so, an email would have been sent to the registered email address, and you can visit the Minecraft store to purchase the game again.
Are you logging in with the correct email address? You may have registered more than one Mojang account, so try another email address that you own.
It's also possible that the email address on the account has changed, and a new Mojang account was registered with the same email. If you believe that this happened, please contact Minecraft support.