There are two different account types associated with Minecraft: Java Edition; Minecraft accounts and Mojang accounts. Minecraft accounts were the first way to log into Minecraft on a computer, and Mojang accounts were later introduced as a single account to use across all Mojang games. The following describes the differences between the account types.
- Currently, all Minecraft: Java Edition purchases prior to December 1st 2020 are attached to a Mojang account.
- You have registered a Mojang account and log into account.mojang.com with your email address.
- After you make your purchase, you can select a Minecraft username and log into the game.
- New purchases of Minecraft: Java Edition will be linked to a Microsoft account instead of a Mojang Account.
- When logging into the game or the site you use a Microsoft login.
- When you make your purchase, you will be prompted to link a Microsoft account. You can then select a Minecraft username and log into the game using your Microsoft credentials
If you created a Minecraft account prior to November 2012, the following may apply to you:
Mojang Account (migrated from Minecraft account)
- You have migrated your paid Minecraft account to a Mojang account.
- You use your email address to log into Minecraft and Mojang services.
- You no longer log into Minecraft and minecraft.net with a username.
Minecraft account - paid (formerly known as premium)
- You have purchased a copy of Minecraft from Minecraft.net.
- You use your Minecraft username to log into Minecraft services, and can access the full game.
- You can reset the password and migrate the account to a Mojang account by visiting account.mojang.com/migrate.
Minecraft account - unpaid
- You have previously registered a Minecraft username but did not purchase the game.
- You use your Minecraft username to log into Minecraft services, but are unable to use services other than demo mode.
- These accounts were deleted in February 2015, and the usernames were made available to all, except those accounts that had purchased a gift code.