To reset the password for a Mojang account (you log in with your email address) visit https://www.minecraft.net/password/forgot
To reset the password for an older Minecraft account (you log in with your username) follow these steps:
- Go to account.mojang.com/migrate
- Press the "Forgot your password?" link
- Enter your account email and username, and press "Request password reset"
To reset the password for a Microsoft account (used for Minecraft: Java Edition) follow these steps:
- Go to reset your password and enter your email address.
- Tell us where you’d like us to send a security code (email or phone number).
- Once you receive your security code, you’ll be prompted to choose a new password and enter it twice. Passwords should be at least 8 characters long and should contain a mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.
Note: You must have your Microsoft account email address to reset your password. If you’ve forgotten this email address, you’ll need to recover it before you reset your password. If you closed your Microsoft account, you have 60 days from that closure to sign in and reopen it. After 60 days, your account and data expire.
"InvalidCredentialsException", if you receive this error please read this help article.
If you have attempted to reset your password and are not receiving the reset email, please visit our article on not receiving system emails. Keep in mind that it is possible to have multiple accounts or account types. Minecraft accounts are explained here.
If you are unable to reset your password, please locate your transaction ID, then contact customer support.