This article only applies to Mojang accounts. See the Microsoft account page if you need assistance.
Mojang accounts use security questions to protect your account from unauthorized use. When you create a Mojang account, you will be asked to set three security questions. Please choose questions and answers that you can remember easily, as you may need them later. Answers are not case-sensitive.
Tips for Choosing Security Questions:
- Be sure to pick the questions carefully. Try to choose questions where the answers don't frequently change.
- For example, it'll be easier to remember the name of your first stuffed animal than your favorite actor, as your favorite actor may change.
- Choose questions that are not easily guessable by others.
- For example, if you're concerned about a sibling accessing your account, it's best not to pick "In what city did your mother and father meet?"
- Similarly, if you post pictures of pets on social networks, it's probably a good idea to steer clear of "What is your favorite pet's name?".
Frequently Asked Questions:
How Do I Secure my Account with Security Questions?
- You will need to have a Mojang account. If you have an original Minecraft account (you log in with your username), you can migrate to a Mojang account.
- If you have a Mojang account, you can set or change your security questions from your Mojang account settings.
When Would I Need to Answer Security Questions?
When you are logging into your Mojang account from a new computer or if you are unable to access your account and want to change your email address. This feature is also planned for integration with Mojang games, sometime in the future.
What if I am Locked out of my Account, and Did Not Properly Set my Questions, or Can't Remember the Answers?
Visit your account settings to reset your security questions. If you need further instruction or encounter an issue, follow the steps below:
- Reset your security questions from your Mojang account settings. Then follow the instructions sent to the email registered to your Mojang account.
- If you do not receive the email to reset your security questions, check our list of reasons why you Cannot Receive Mojang System Emails.
- If you continue to have problems with resetting your security questions, contact support here. You will need to provide proof of account ownership; this can be your transaction ID or gift code.
What Does the Error "Could Not Load Security Questions" Mean?
If you see this error, it can mean that you currently do not have any security questions set. It can also mean that we are experiencing a temporary server outage, which is preventing the accounts system from accessing the security questions. If this has happened, we are working to restore this system as soon as possible.