All information refers to version 1.16 of Minecraft and Minecraft: Java Edition
You may have noticed that holding food in your hand that an animal prefers will cause the animal to stare and follow you. Different animals like different foods and using the correct food or method can allow you to tame or breed certain animals.
Taming is the process of domesticating a wild animal to befriend a player. Only certain animals can be tamed. Below are the various ways you can tame these animals and how they interact after being tamed:
- Wolves - Can be tamed by giving them bones. You will know a wolf is tamed after it receives a red collar around its neck. This collar can be dyed a different color. A tamed wolf will attack any mob that its owner attacks, except for creepers. Tamed wolves whine when they have low health. You can determine the health of your wolf by the position of its tail: the higher the tail, the greater the health. You can heal a tamed wolf by feeding them any meat other than fish.
- Cats – Cats can be tamed by giving them raw cod or raw salmon. Cats are quick to run away so it is important to stand still when feeding one. Cats will follow their owners and are useful to have around because creepers don’t like to go near them.
- Horses, Donkeys, and Mules - These animals can be tamed by repeatedly attempting to ride them until they no longer throw you off and hearts appear around them. Equipping a saddle on these animals will allow a player to control the direction the animal goes while ridding it. Horses can be equipped with armor for additional protection against damage to the horse while donkeys and mules can be equipped with a chest for additional storage space.
- Llamas - Similar to horses, donkeys, and mules, llamas are tamed by repeated attempts at riding until they no longer throw you off. Llamas cannot be controlled by players because they can’t be saddled. However, a lead can be attached to have it follow a player. Llamas can also be equipped with a chest.
- Parrots - Can be tamed by feeding them seeds. Once tamed, they will follow the owner around. Walking into a tamed parrot will cause it to ride on a player’s shoulders. Be careful what you feed parrots, as giving them a cookie will kill them.
Players can initiate breeding with two mobs of the same species to produce offspring. To do this, two animals must be in the same vicinity and be in “love mode” in which animals will emit hearts. Animals that can be bred have certain food items that will enter them into “love mode”. Some animals must be tamed before they can be bred. Here are the animals that can be bred and the food items used to breed them:
- Wolves (Tamed) - Any meat other than fish
- Cats (Tamed) - Raw Cod and Raw Salmon
- Horses/Donkeys (Tamed) - Golden Apples and Golden Carrots
- Llamas (Tamed) - Hay Bale
- Sheep, Cows, and Mooshrooms - Wheat
- Pigs - Carrots, Potatoes, and Beetroot
- Rabbits - Dandelion, Carrots, and Golden Carrots
- Turtles - Seagrass
- Pandas – Bamboo; additionally, must have 8 bamboo blocks within a radius of 5 blocks of both pandas
- Foxes - Sweet Berries
- Bees - Flowers