If Minecraft is not available to launch through your virtual reality headset’s storefront/library and you own a copy (or just want to play the demo in VR) you can launch the game through your computer by clicking this link or by creating a custom shortcut. This article will provide a guide to creating this shortcut and troubleshooting various issues with launching Minecraft for VR.
Before you create the shortcut to launch Minecraft in VR, there are a few things you should check first:
- If you purchased Minecraft through your VR headset’s storefront you need to check and see if you have been granted a Minecraft for Windows 10 license first. You can do this by attempting to launch the game in your headset and then logging into the Microsoft Store and checking your owned games.
- If you have not been granted a license yet, please wait 24 hours and try again. If after 24 hours you still have not received a license please contact support with the email for your Microsoft account, your Customer ID for your headset’s account system and your receipt for the purchase.
If you did not purchase Minecraft through your VR headset’s storefront, or if you have confirmed you have a Minecraft for Windows 10 license by logging into the Microsoft Store and checking your owned games, you can now create the custom shortcut to launch Minecraft in VR.
Setting up a Custom Shortcut:
- Make sure you have Minecraft for Windows 10 installed and have started the game normally at least once
- To set up a custom shortcut right click your desktop, under ‘new’ create a new shortcut
- For the location of the item, enter the following: minecraft://Mode/?OpenXR=true
- Click ‘Next’ and give your shortcut a name like “Minecraft VR”
- You should see the shortcut created on your desktop and it should automatically have the Minecraft icon if set up correctly
- Click ‘Finish’ and your Minecraft VR shortcut has been created!
To use this shortcut, make sure your VR headset is plugged in to your computer and powered on. Clicking the shortcut you just made will launch Minecraft in your VR headset instead of on your computer.