There are a few different account types associated with Minecraft: Java Edition:
- Minecraft accounts - the first way to log into Minecraft on a computer. This account type was migrated and no longer exists.
- Mojang accounts - later introduced as a single account to use across all Mojang games
- Microsoft accounts - the new account type for all purchases of Minecraft: Java Edition after December 1, 2020
The following describes the differences between the two current account types:
- All Minecraft: Java Edition purchases prior to December 1, 2020, are attached to a Mojang account.
- If you have registered a Mojang account, log into account.mojang.com with your email address.
- New purchases of Minecraft: Java Edition are linked to a Microsoft account instead of a Mojang account.
- When logging into the game or the site you use a Microsoft login.
- When you make your purchase, you will be prompted to link a Microsoft account. You can then select a Minecraft username and log into the game using your Microsoft credentials.
Unlinking a Minecraft: Java Edition Account and a Microsoft Account
After you link a Minecraft: Java Edition account to a Microsoft Secure Account (MSA), the accounts are permanently linked and cannot be unlinked.
If you have purchased Minecraft: Java Edition on the wrong account or otherwise need to change which Microsoft account you made the purchase on, you will need to write to our support team and request a refund. Please note that your refund request must be submitted within 15 days of purchase per our refund policy. Our standard refund restrictions apply.
If your question is instead about Java account migration, please refer to our Minecraft Java Edition Account Migration FAQ.
If you created a Minecraft account prior to November 2012, the following may apply to you:
Your Mojang Account was Migrated from a Minecraft account
- You have migrated your paid Minecraft account to a Mojang account.
- You use your email address to log into Minecraft and Mojang Studios services.
- You no longer log into Minecraft and minecraft.net with a username.
You Had a Paid or Premium Minecraft Account
- You have purchased a copy of Minecraft from Minecraft.net.
- You use your Minecraft username to log into Minecraft services, and can access the full game.
- You can reset the password and migrate the account to a Mojang account by visiting account.mojang.com/migrate.
You Had an Unpaid Minecraft Account
- You previously registered a Minecraft username but did not purchase the game.
- You use your Minecraft username to log into Minecraft services, but are unable to use services other than Demo mode.
- These accounts were deleted in February 2015, and the usernames became available for other players, except those accounts that had purchased a gift code.