Note: As of June 21, 2018, Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (2017) is no longer available for purchase from the Nintendo eShop. Existing owners can continue to play. Existing owners will be able to download this version again if needed.
Minecraft on Nintendo Consoles
You can play Minecraft on Nintendo Switch and Wii U consoles.
Where can I buy Minecraft for Nintendo Switch?
You can buy Minecraft in the eShop on your Nintendo device. It's priced at $29.99 or equivalent and comes bundled with some of our most popular add-on packs.
What features does it have?
For information about platform-specific features, please check out the eShop page for specific editions:
For information about the most up-to-date features for these editions, please check the version history:
Where can I get help with the Nintendo editions of Minecraft?
- For help with your games, purchases, accounts, or hardware, please visit Nintendo Customer Support.
- For technical support with your Nintendo device, visit Nintendo Customer Support.
- If you have suggestions or want to take part in discussions, you can check out Minecraft Forums.
- You can find additional information in the Minecraft for Nintendo Switch FAQ.
- If you think you've found a bug, you can report it in the Minecraft bug tracker.
What is the Bedrock version of Minecraft?
The Bedrock version of Minecraft has been the codebase on mobile and Windows 10 and above since 2012, also known as our Bedrock engine.
How does this version differ from the one I already own?
Minecraft delivers a united experience to players on all platforms that use the Bedrock codebase. Build with friends via cross-play on other console platforms and mobile devices, play multiplayer mini-games through servers, and customize how you play with community content available through the in-game Marketplace.
I already own Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition, so how do I get this new version?
Players who already own Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition can download the new version of Minecraft free of charge. Either follow the prompts in-game to download or find it directly in the Nintendo eShop.
Will DLC content I currently own transfer over to the new version of Minecraft?
All existing DLC content will be transferred automatically from Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition to the new version of Minecraft.
What’s a Microsoft account and why do I need it for a Nintendo Switch?
A Microsoft account is a free account you use to sign in on a device that allows Minecraft players on Switch to play with others on non-Nintendo devices such as iOS, Android, Xbox One, and Windows 10 (and above) via cross-play, Realms, or Servers. Having a Microsoft account also enables the portability of your Minecoins and Marketplace purchases to other devices and platforms. For more information go to the Xbox article, Minecraft for Nintendo Switch FAQ. To create an account, go to the Minecraft Realms and Multiplayer Troubleshooting page.
Now that I have a Microsoft account, how do I sign into it from my Nintendo Switch?
- On the Minecraft game home screen, click Sign in with a Microsoft account.
- You’ll see a screen asking you for a unique eight-digit code.
- Enter the URL shown on the screen on another device (PC or mobile phone).
- Follow the instructions on the website by entering the code and to finish signing in to your Microsoft account.
How do I find my friends on their Microsoft account?
- Now that you’ve signed in to your Microsoft account, select Play on the home screen.
- Toggle to the right onto the Friends tab.
- Select the button to Add Friend.
- Find friends by entering their Microsoft Gamertags.
I keep entering my friend’s Gamertag into cross-platform friends and can’t find them. Why?
Make sure you enter your friend’s Gamertag correctly. Please note that you are only able to enter Microsoft Gamertags. Player IDs from other platforms are not supported at this time. You can also try having your friend add you instead to see if that works for you.
Do I need to pay a subscription fee such as for Xbox Live Gold to play online?
Online subscription fees are determined by the platform you play on, so an Xbox Live Gold subscription is not required for Nintendo Switch players, but a Nintendo Switch Online subscription is required for multiplayer when that service launches. We recommend a free Microsoft account for players to get the most out of this version of Minecraft.
What is Minecraft Marketplace?
The Minecraft Marketplace is the name of our in-game store. New character skins, textures, and worlds made by creators in the Minecraft community are available through the Marketplace for Minecraft Bedrock platforms. With Minecraft Marketplace, we've made it safer and easier to purchase community-made content for Minecraft. Buy content once while signed in with a Microsoft account and enjoy it on any supported device with no expiration.
What are Minecoins?
Minecoins (Minecraft coins) let you buy content from creators in our Marketplace, safely and securely. You can purchase them with real currency in the game store and eShop. Coins are kept in your virtual wallet and can also be used on Minecraft for mobile, Xbox One, and Windows 10 (and above) if you have a Microsoft account.
Do my existing worlds transfer?
Yes, your existing worlds from Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition will convert over to the Bedrock version of Minecraft.
To Transfer Worlds from Wii U to Nintendo Switch
You can move your saved world files from Minecraft on the Nintendo Wii U to Minecraft on the Nintendo Switch.
- Turn on both your Wii U and your Switch and launch Minecraft. They will both need to be on for the transfer.
Tip: The easiest way to do this is to have the Wii U connected to the TV and the Switch in handheld mode.
- Play Game on the Wii U, then on the main menu of the Wii U edition of Minecraft, press Play Game.
- Connect to Nintendo Network; you must be online.
- Highlight the desired save file, then hover over the save file you wish to transfer.
- Access Save Options and select Transfer save to Nintendo Switch. Press X to access Save Options.
- Confirm save file transfer and then press the OK button.
- Wait for the Switch to accept the transfer. Once completed, press Play Game on your Nintendo Switch, then on the main menu on the Switch, press Play Game.
- Connect to Nintendo Network; you must be online.
- On the Load tab, press Y to select Transfer save from Wii U.
- Confirm save file transfer and press OK.
- When a connection with the Wii U is established and the transfer is complete on the Wii U and on the Switch, confirm the transfer for both.
- Access the Load tab and load the transferred save file. On the Load tab, where you normally load your worlds, you should see the newly transferred save file. Select it and enter the world.
- Enjoy the world on your Switch!
How do I transfer existing worlds from Minecraft for Nintendo Switch to another version of Minecraft?
In Minecraft (Bedrock Version):
- If you select the Sync Old Worlds button at the bottom of the worlds list in the play menu, it finds any worlds on the device from the Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (developed by 4J Studios) and displays them below the button.
- Select any of the newly found worlds to convert them to the Bedrock edition.
- After conversion, the world shows up above the Sync Old Worlds button with the rest of your Bedrock worlds.
How big are worlds in this version of Minecraft for Nintendo Switch?
World size is infinite in Minecraft for Nintendo Switch.
I’m playing in a world that was transferred from the previous version. Does it have any size limitations?
Transferring to Minecraft changes the world type to infinite, keeping the portions of the world from the 4J version the same, but generating new chunks outside of that area.
Can I play Realms on this edition?
Yes, Realms is available on the Bedrock edition of Minecraft for Nintendo Switch. To play online on a Nintendo Switch, you must have a Nintendo Switch Online subscription, so this is a requirement for playing on Realms. Learn more information about Nintendo Switch Online.
What additional content is included?
The Super Mario Mash-Up Pack is preinstalled with the game. You can download the remaining content (Natural Texture pack, Biome Settlers Skin pack, Battle & Beasts Skin pack, Campfire Tales Skin pack) from the in-game store.
Can my friends on Xbox play the Super Mario Mash-Up?
No, the Super Mario Mash-Up is playable only by Nintendo Switch owners in single player, split screen, local network, and over Nintendo Switch Online.
How do I link my previous purchases on other Minecraft Bedrock versions to my Switch version?
Log into Minecraft and sign into your Microsoft account. All your content will sync automatically with other purchases you’ve made with other Bedrock versions.
I own Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition and I've purchased previous DLC. How do I get it to sync to Minecraft?
- Log into Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition on your Nintendo Switch account. This will sync the latest purchases.
- Log into Minecraft on your Nintendo Switch and you'll automatically be granted the entitlements for that DLC.
Note: For every purchase you made on the previous version, you must first log into Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition, exit, and then launch the new Bedrock version for your purchases to sync. DLC purchased within Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition will remain only on your Nintendo Switch device and will not transfer to other devices.
Issues with Lagging or Crashing for Nintendo Switch
If you are experiencing any issues with lagging, crashing, or hanging on the Switch, you may be able to solve your issue with a full restart.
- Fully restart your console from the power options in settings.
- Select and launch Minecraft without opening other games or apps.
Note: If this did not solve your issue, for a temporary workaround, try not signing into a Microsoft account. While you won't have access to servers, Realms, or possibly Marketplace content, you can play single-player & split-screen worlds.
If you still have issues with gameplay performance, contact Minecraft Support.