This article only addresses account security issues for Mojang accounts on Minecraft: Java Edition. If you use a Microsoft account to log in, contact Microsoft Support.
In This Article:
- My account was stolen
- How to avoid scam and phishing emails
- Third-party Services and Websites
- Reporting Compromised Accounts
My Account was Stolen
- First, try to change the password that’s associated with your account. For example, a Microsoft account or a Mojang account. Log out of anything that you're logged into (websites, game launcher, etc.), then if you were able to change the password, try to log in with the new password. If you have an old Minecraft account that logs in with a username instead of an email, you should migrate to the newer Mojang account format.
- If you have a Mojang account, try logging in with a different email address.
- If you are not sure if you should use your email address or username to log in, see our article on Minecraft: Java Edition account types.
- If you do not receive password reset emails within a few minutes, or you are sure that your account was compromised, locate your transaction ID or gift code and contact Minecraft Support.
Note: If your account is linked to a Microsoft Secured Account or you have already migrated
contact Microsoft Support instead.
How to Avoid Scam and Phishing Emails
If you get an email that appears to be from Mojang Support without having made a request, it is very likely to be a scam or phishing email. Make sure to check it for validity before sending any personal information.
Legitimate support emails from us will come from the email addresses email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
We do not ask for information using forms and we will NEVER ask you for your password.
In the following fake email, you can see that the email is not sent from firstname.lastname@example.org and that it asks for your personal/login information:
If you receive an email and you're not sure it's from us, DO NOT RESPOND! We will never ask you for account information outside our regular support channels, and we will never ask you for it if you haven't contacted us first.
If you still need assistance or are not sure if an email was from us, please contact Minecraft Support.
Third Party Services and Websites
We strongly recommend that you don't enter your account credentials into any third-party
websites. This is because we have no control over how third-party services handle and store your
sensitive account information. This can include third-party launchers and unofficial cape
For example, OptiFine is in no way affiliated with Mojang or Minecraft.
We will help you secure your account and avoid this happening in the future. We are, however, not able to assist you if you purchased your account through an unauthorized reseller or alt dispenser.
Also, if you're receiving a server connection error message in the game launcher, it could be that the issue is caused by some third-party Minecraft software that you have installed. If you have downloaded any third-party Minecraft software to your computer, uninstall it and try again. However, if you have downloaded MCLeaks, please try the following:
- Run MCLeaks
- When you get the option to choose "MCLeaks" or "Mojang", choose "Mojang"
- Close and uninstall MCLeaks
- Log into Minecraft using the regular launcher
Reporting Compromised Mojang Accounts
Mojang accounts are sometimes compromised by phishing or social engineering, and lists of those accounts often end up posted online. If you would like to report such a list, please follow the steps below.
How to Report a Compromised Account
- Verify that it is Minecraft login information. The list would be combinations of either usernames or emails and a password.
- Test to see if any of them work. The reasoning behind this is that a thousand people could report the same list, which would generate too many support cases. If you are certain that some or all the login information works at Minecraft.net, we can Investigate further.
- Check the list formatting. Most of these lists are in the format username:password or email:password. For any list over 50 entries, we require it in that format.
- Send to Minecraft Support. If the above steps are true, contact Minecraft Support with your list and we will investigate further.