In This Article
Minecraft Dungeons: Signing into a Microsoft Account for Online Multiplayer on Nintendo Switch and PlayStation®
To play online multiplayer and cross-platform play in Minecraft Dungeons on Nintendo Switch and PlayStation® consoles, you need to log in to the game using a Microsoft Account. This section explains how to log in and begin adding friends to play together online.
If you do not have a Microsoft Account, you can create one for free by following the directions in our article on Setting Up a Microsoft Account.
- When you launch Minecraft Dungeons for the first time, you are prompted to log in to a Microsoft Account.
- Using another device, such as a phone or a tablet, go to https://www.microsoft.com/link. Enter the code shown on your device.
- After your successful sign in, you will be connected to Minecraft Dungeons with your Microsoft Account. You can change Microsoft Account Settings at https://account.xbox.com/settings.
- If you choose not to link your accounts, you may unlink at any time in the Game Settings menu by selecting Configure Online Play. You can also log out of your Microsoft Account from this screen at any time.
- From the main menu and Hero select screen, press the L and R or L1 and R1 buttons to switch between Online Gameand Offline Game. After you select Online Game, you can add friends by selecting Add Friend and searching for their gamertags
You can join friends' game sessions from the main menu, or you can invite them to your own game session:
- Select Friendsfrom The Camp after starting an online game
- Select the friend whose session you want to join
- Select Add to Game
- Select Start Online Game
Minecraft Unified Launcher
As of December 2020, the Minecraft Launcher supports both Microsoft and Mojang accounts. This means you can play both Minecraft: Java Edition and Minecraft Dungeons from the same place. We hope the following answers will help you with questions you may have about these changes.
What is the unified Minecraft Launcher?
In December 2020, we created a single unified Minecraft Launcher from which players can launch both Minecraft: Java Edition and Minecraft Dungeons. The banner you’re seeing at the bottom of your game directs you to the link where you can install this launcher. Moving to the launcher is required and centralizes your launchers for Minecraft games.
How can I get this new unified launcher?
If you’re already running the Minecraft Launcher, the update will download automatically when
you start the program. If you currently have only the Minecraft Dungeons Launcher, you can download the new Minecraft Launcher.
Do I have to upgrade to this new launcher?
As of January 18, 2021, the new launcher is required to access Minecraft Dungeons. The old launcher will let you know that you need to upgrade.
I own the game on the Microsoft Store. Where is the launcher?
The launcher is not available for players who purchased the game from the Microsoft Store or anyone playing through Xbox Game Pass for PC. The launcher is a delivery vehicle for getting the game onto your computer. Because the Microsoft Store handles all downloading, installing, and updating, the launcher is not available there.
How do I sign into my accounts?
The Minecraft Launcher supports signing into both Microsoft and Mojang accounts. Use the following steps to log in for each type of account.
- Go to Settings> Accounts > Add Mojang Account.
- Enter the email address,
- Select Next
- Enter the password associated with your Microsoft account
- Select Sign In.
- Go to Settings> Accounts > Add Mojang Account.
- Enter the email address and password associated with your Mojang account
- Select Log In.
Your active accounts will appear in the Accounts tab of the Settings screen. Selecting the three dots to the right of each account lets you manage the account settings or remove the account from the launcher.
How do I switch between my accounts to play my games?
If you own Minecraft: Java Edition on a Mojang account and Minecraft Dungeons on a Microsoft account, you can link both accounts to the Minecraft Launcher. However, you will have to switch between the two accounts to play one game or the other.
From the main launcher screen, select your profile in the top-left portion of the screen, and then select your Mojang account or Microsoft account.
What happens to my current save files for Minecraft Dungeons?
Save files remain unaffected by the launcher, because it reads the same location for the save files. If you have a save file via the Dungeons Launcher, you will be able to continue to play with the regular unified Minecraft Launcher (or vice versa).
If you uninstall the launcher, DO NOT check the Remove Save Files checkbox, otherwise your save files will be removed. If you want to create backups of your save files, refer to the Cloud Saves and Backing Up Heroes article for a full walkthrough of how to back up and save files.
Does the new launcher automatically give me access to both games?
No, you must still purchase the games separately.
Is the unified launcher also available on Mac and Linux?
While the updated launcher is available for players on Mac and Linux, Minecraft Dungeons is unfortunately not playable on these devices.
Manually Update Minecraft Dungeons
To play the newest content in Minecraft Dungeons, your game needs to be updated to the most recent version. This should happen automatically while your device is in standby mode or in use while connected to an active Internet connection. However, if you need to manually update your game, this article explains how to do so for each platform below.
For information on the latest updates and changes, check out Minecraft Dungeons Patch Notes.
IMPORTANT Restart your device and connect to the Internet before trying the update steps.
How do I Find My Current Version Number?
You can find the version number at the top left of the Settings screen in Minecraft Dungeons.
- Navigate to the Minecraft Dungeonsicon
- Press the +button on the controller.
- Click Software Update
- Click Via the Internet
If there is an update, it will appear on this screen.
If you still cannot update Minecraft Dungeons, contact Nintendo Support.
Minecraft Dungeons should update automatically. If updates are not set to automatic on your game,
- Select the game
- Click Options
- Click Check for Update
If you still cannot update Minecraft Dungeons, contact PlayStation® Support.
Windows 10 and above
Minecraft Dungeons should update to the latest version automatically. If it doesn’t update:
- Open Microsoft Store,
- Click the three dots in the top right corner and then
- Click Downloads and updates.
- Click Get updatesand
All your installed applications should update (including Minecraft Dungeons).
If you still cannot update Minecraft Dungeons, contact Minecraft Support.
Open the Minecraft Launcher. If there is an update to the game, the green Play button will say Update. Click that button to update.
Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One:
- Go to My Apps & Games
- navigate to Minecraft Dungeons
- press the Menubutton on the controller
- click Manage game & add-ons
- click Updates
Any updates will be available here. If no updates are available, your game is fully updated!
If you still cannot update Minecraft Dungeons, contact Xbox Support.
How to Install Downloadable Content and Hero Pass Content
If you purchased Hero Edition, Season Pass, or any downloadable content (DLC) individually and cannot access the extra content in-game, it's possible that Hero Pass is not installed. Follow the steps below to make sure your DLC is properly installed on your device.
Windows 10 and above
- Open the Microsoft Store app from the Start Menu.
- Select the …menu icon in the top right and select Downloads and updates.
- Navigate to Ready to install on the sidebar. Hero Pass should be listed and be ready to install.
- After downloading and installing, you may need to restart your game for the change to take effect.
- Purchase content from minecraftdungeons.net.
- Open the Minecraft Launcher.
- If an update to the game is available:
- Select the Update
There is no separate installation for your DLC and the content will be enabled automatically.
Xbox One / Xbox Series X|S
- Select the Guidebutton
- Go to My games & apps
- Select See all,Locate Minecraft Dungeons
- Select the Menubutton
- Select Manage game & add-ons
- Select Ready to install
Your owned DLC should be listed and be ready to install.
Note: after downloading and installing, you may need to restart your game for the change to take effect.
After you purchase content from the PlayStation® Store, it should automatically start downloading. If this does not happen automatically, which can sometimes occur if you do not have enough storage space on your device, you can manually start the download yourself with the following steps.
- Navigate to the Minecraft Dungeons icon on your home page
- Scroll down to PlayStation™Store
- Select the Add-Onssection
- then Your Add-Ons
- Choose Hero Passor the DLC you want to install
- The Downloadbutton enables you to use your content in-game after it finishes downloading.
After you purchase the Hero Pass or other DLC, the content will immediately start downloading after you exit the Nintendo eShop. When the download finishes you can play Minecraft Dungeons with the Hero Pass content by launching Minecraft Dungeons.
You can download content again at any time with the following steps:
- Access the Nintendo eShop
- select your Account Information(at the top of the page)
- Select Re-download
- Find the content you want to download again
Hero Pass Cosmetics
You can equip contents of the Hero Pass such as the Hero Cape and Baby Chicken pet via the
in-game Cosmetics tab on the inventory screen.