This article addresses billing issues for Realms Plus. See Minecraft: Java Edition Realms Billing Issues FAQ for Minecraft: Java Edition Realms billing issues.
In This Article
Why are there two versions of Realms servers?
We've developed two separate versions of Minecraft so that the game runs well on different platforms. Minecraft, the version you find on mobile, console and Windows 10 (and above) runs on one kind of code, and Minecraft: Java Edition (for PC, Mac and Linux) runs on another.
These two versions are incompatible with each other and are developed separately with different features. Players on Minecraft: Java Edition can't play on console, mobile or Windows 10 (and above) Realms and vice versa.
Are there trials available for Minecraft Realms Plus?
We offer a free 30-day trial of Minecraft Realms to players who have not previously had a Realm and have signed up for a 10-user subscription. See our Realms homepage for more information.
Minecraft Realms Plus are available in the following editions:
- Minecraft for Android
- Minecraft for iOS
- Minecraft for Nintendo Switch
- Minecraft for PlayStation®4
- Minecraft for Windows
- Minecraft for Xbox One
How do I renew my expired Realm?
Whether you are trying to dust off an old Realm or just forgot to extend your time, you may want to renew an expired Realm. Currently it is not possible to add time to an expired Realm. However, the world within the expired Realm is not lost! After you purchase a new subscription and create a new Realm it is possible to move any backups made of the world within the expired Realm to the new Realm.
How to create a backup of an expired Realm
Creating a backup of a world is simple and easy. Creating backups is a good habit and can help you make sure you always keep your world safe.
Quick guide to creating a backup.
In Minecraft for Windows, Xbox, PlayStation®, Nintendo Switch, or mobile devices:
- select Edit Realm in the Realms
- Select the option to Download World.
Note: Make sure there is enough room to store it on your device!
You can export your maps from any version of Realms at any time within an 18-month period after your subscription has expired. After your subscription has been inactive for more than 18 months, your world is permanently deleted from Minecraft servers.
Replacing a New World with a Backup
After purchasing a new Realm subscription and creating a new world within that Realm:
From the new Realm game settings (at the bottom of the page):
- Select Replace World
- Choose the backup you’ve created of your previous Realm.
Your new Realm should now contain your previous world.
If you encounter an error that prevents you from downloading your world, or if you are having difficulty uploading your world, contact Minecraft support for further assistance.
How do I cancel my Realms subscription?
Follow these steps to cancel recurring billing on your subscription.
For Minecraft (on mobile, consoles, or Windows 10 and above),your subscriptions are managed through the stores on the platform where you first activated your subscription. Here’s how to access the platform store to manage your subscription:
- Go to Settings from the game's main menu.
- Select the Subscriptions option in the list on the left.
- Click the Manage button on the subscription you want to manage in the Settings menu.
This takes you to the platform store where you can review and cancel your subscription as needed.
Here’s how to manage your subscription on each platform:
- Go to Google Play.
- Check that you’re signed into the Google Account you used when you purchased your subscription.
- On the left, click My subscriptions.
- Select the Realms subscription you want to cancel.
- Click Manage and then Cancel Subscription.
See the Cancel, pause, or change a subscription on Google Play help page for more information.
- Go to Your Account.
- Check that you’re signed into the Amazon Account you used when you purchased your subscription.
- Select Your Apps under Digital content and devices.
- Select Your Subscriptions under Manage.
- Update your subscription as needed.
See the Amazon Appstore help page for more information.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Sign into the Apple ID you used when you purchased your subscription.
- Tap the account name.
- Tap Subscriptions.
- Tap the Realms subscription that you want to manage.
- Tap Cancel Subscription.
See the How to cancel a subscription from Apple help page for more information.
Starting December 13th, 2021, we will be offering recurring Realms and Realms Plus subscriptions on Nintendo Switch instead of one-time purchases. Here’s what this means for Realms players:
- This subscription will be an ongoing monthly service. Once you sign up, your Realms will be renewed automatically every month until you cancel.
- You will be able to use a credit card to pay for this service instead of having to pay in Minecoins. Minecoins can no longer be used to purchase Minecraft Realms.
- As always, only the Realms owner must pay, friends always join for free
To set up this process, just follow the steps below. If you already have an active Realms subscription, it can be renewed as a recurring subscription once it runs out.
- Launch the game
- Select Settings
- Go to the Subscriptions tab
- Find your Expired Realm
- Click on “Renew”, and you will be prompted to the “Renew Your Realm” menu
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions, then click "Renew for $3.99 (2-player Realm) or $7.99 (Realms Plus) per month". You will be redirected to the "Automatic Renewal Subscription" page of the Nintendo eShop
- Click on the “Proceed to purchase” button.
- Enter your address to register your location to Nintendo.
- Select a payment method (credit card or available Nintendo eShop funds).
- Enter your username and password to authenticate your identity.
- Review your selections. If everything looks good, click “Add Funds and Purchase”.
- Click “Return to Software” to go back to Minecraft. You will see a “Creating Realm” dialogue.
- You can now join your Realm with a recurring subscription.
Please note that at Realms subscriptions for Nintendo Switch are not available in South Korea at this time.
If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact Minecraft Support. If for any reason you need a refund for a purchase made on the Nintendo eShop, please contact Nintendo Customer Support.
Sign in to Account Management.
Select Subscription from the menu on the left of the screen.
Select Turn Off Auto-Renew next to the subscription you would like to cancel.
If you would like to keep your subscription, you can select Turn On Auto-Renew before the renewal date of the current subscription to keep it active. To manage subscriptions via console, please check out PlayStation's guide for specific instructions.
- Go to the Microsoft Account page and log in to your account.
- Find the subscription for the Realm you want to cancel.
- Select Manage Subscription.
- Update your subscription as needed.
- Sign into Services & Subscriptions with the account you used when you purchased your subscription.
- Find your Realms subscription.
- select Manage.
- On the next page, select Cancel.
- Follow the instructions on the page to proceed with cancellation.
See the How to cancel your Microsoft subscription help page for more information.